covers

Music
nagoline
genuine magenta lamprey
Reactions: 4510

covers

Post by nagoline »

just saw a thread around in the interwebs asking people what covers completely over shadow the original. a person i know replied with a killswitch engage song that i don't know about. i thought "hey, this should be fun" and was going to reply with some shit like peter gabriel's version of my body is a cage but someone had already replied "the man who sold the world by nirvana and hur by johnny cash are tops" and now i feel like 100000 baths won't take away the grossness. i'm gonna spend all day puking.

that is all.
"knows all the cool opium dens"

nagoline
genuine magenta lamprey

Re: covers

Post by nagoline »

insert david lynch's hissy fit about people watching movies "on their fucking cellphones"
1 Image

Helloween_1985
The New Italian Job
Reactions: 282

Post by Helloween_1985 »

Nirvana's cover of "the man who sold the world" sounds very sixties :hmm
I have came across some crap covers like Sis Feet Under's version of "Sweet Leaf" which is just wrong
Madness's cover of one Step beyond is mazing:

The title track, released as a single, was originally written and recorded by the Jamaican ska musician Prince Buster, and its "Don't watch that, watch this ..." introduction is adapted from another Prince Buster song, "The Scorcher".

:star like that uncle you're never sure is joking :star

nagoline
genuine magenta lamprey

Post by nagoline »

the original the man who sold the world has a nearly perfect mix that mtv could never even imagine to replicate, specially in the 90's duting the radio loudness wars.

TurkeyPuncher
Reactions: 141

Post by TurkeyPuncher »

Johnny Cash's version of Hurt was great, but it doesn't supersede the original. They both get a place on the shelf. Nirvana's The Man Who Sold the World was okay, but man, that one wrong note is always the first thing I remember about it.

Helloween_1985
The New Italian Job

Post by Helloween_1985 »

Didn't Trent Reznor say he was impressed by Johnny Cash's cover of that song?

nagoline
genuine magenta lamprey

Post by nagoline »

it's trent...of course he did. everyone's amazing untill there is beef to be had

JimothyZombie
Super Potato
Reactions: 7037

Post by JimothyZombie »

Man, I love me some good covers :hmm I don't know about ones that completely overshadow originals though :hmm

I never really feel too upset by mediocre covers, but I'm the same with all adaptations. They are what they are but I can leave them far behind if I feel like it. I thought the cash version of hurt was fine. I prefer the NIN but I get the popularity of the cover.

This thread reminded me of our covers thread. I don't know what I was thinking when I said the tea party cover of isolation was almost good. I must have been pretty fucking drunk :blush :die Or maybe I was being sarcastic. Yeah that sounds better. I'ma go with that. Sarcastic bitch af :nod

I could have sworn I posted the Jared Louche cover of In Every Dreamhome a Heartache

Last edited by JimothyZombie on Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helloween_1985
The New Italian Job

Post by Helloween_1985 »

I love Marc Bolan's (leader singer of T.Rex)cover of "Blowin in the wind" by Bob Dylan

then there's another cover I heard once on a beach in Matala (Crete) which blew me away

Manfred Mann's Earthband who covered "father of day, father of night".

I was lying against a pillar, taking in the sights on the beach, wondering what the village looked like back in the 60's, as the hippies had lived in the caves and heard this blasting blasting out of speakers coming from the local radio station (this was the first time I was at the hippie festival, when it started). Got home home goggled the song and found out it was by Bob Dylan