Small rant

Art
Deleted User 111
Reactions:

Small rant

Post by Deleted User 111 »

I post a lot on my Instagram. Mostly cat and nature. They get likes from my friends. Which is cool.
Sometimes I post my drawings. They don't get as many likes. People who always like my others post don't like my art. Why is this? I mean, if my art is shit they don't have to like it. But some fellow artist friends who always like my other photos don't like my drawings. I don't get it really. Don't fellow artists usually support each other?
It makes me feel like my art really is shit and maybe it's just embarrassing that I post it.
If I post on FB a lot of people like my art but no one ever comments. Is it just for pity that they like?
I'd love to improve my drawings but it's not easy when no one says what needs to be improved. Or maybe I'm just so shitty it's hopeless trying. Maybe I should just stop drawing. Or at least just keep it all to myself.

nagoline
genuine magenta lamprey
Reactions: 4510

Re: Small rant

Post by nagoline »

there can be endless factors. they could be jealous with a dog eat dog mentality of "only i can do it". maybe your style isn't like theirs and they aren't interested. could be anything. don't let it upset you. you're good. not getting recognition sucks but the following doesn't come over night.
"knows all the cool opium dens"

Deleted User 111
Reactions:

I can't see how they'd be jealous. I draw once every few months, no education, I'm not making money off of it. While they draw so much more, most of them have taken classes, and they sell art. They're good and they know it. I'm just kind of meh. Doesn't mean I don't want encouragement though. Eeeeeehhh I don't know. :shrug

nagoline
genuine magenta lamprey

Post by nagoline »

maybe you're looking for encouragement in the wrong places :shrug

dreamshell
Fcuky of The Year 2023
Reactions: 2213

Post by dreamshell »

x2 all the nag words. maybe look for amateur or beginner artist groups? ppl who are all actively working to improve & trying to help each other do so

dreamshell
Fcuky of The Year 2023

Post by dreamshell »

or just keep posting here, we'll praise u/tell you u suck to yr face :nod

Deleted User 111
Reactions:

Pshhhh you're all too nice to tell me I suck :Y

nagoline
genuine magenta lamprey

Post by nagoline »

have you met me? :lol

Deleted User 111
Reactions:

You're always nice to me! :Y

nagoline
genuine magenta lamprey

Post by nagoline »

no, i'm not, i'm horrible to everyone, i just stick around because i have portuguese coffee and jim wants it :lol
1 Image

Deleted User 111
Reactions:

You're only ever horrible to yourself. :talk2hand

nagoline
genuine magenta lamprey

Post by nagoline »

well, if you're just gonna say it like that :Y

dreamshell
Fcuky of The Year 2023

Post by dreamshell »

we're not too nice, yr just a super squirrel :squirrel

Deleted User 111
Reactions:

Oh you :blush

I guess I just wish I had some sort of confidence when it comes to art. :sad

JimothyZombie
Super Potato
Reactions: 7037

Post by JimothyZombie »

You're art is cool :talk2hand People will often not comment on work because it takes time to put into words what they like or don't like, and even more time to provide constructive criticism. Giving likes is easy. Also a lot of people get upset and/or defend their work when they receive constructive criticism, so it leaves the commenter feeling like their time and effort was wasted. Eventually they will only bother offering this to people they feel will be receptive to their feedback.

*your
Last edited by JimothyZombie on Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

dreamshell
Fcuky of The Year 2023

Post by dreamshell »

:pointup

KeyserSoze
the space duck queen
Reactions: 2904

Post by KeyserSoze »

I've been on instagram since 2012 and something I've noticed is that posts don't really get "likes" unless there is a focus, such as an animal or a person. I go to a lot of galleries and those photos never get likes, pics of flowers never get likes, pics of my tattoos never get likes, pics of my art never get likes. If you post a photo with yourself and your art, you will get a lot of likes.

If I posted a photo of just my math project, no one will like it, no matter how interesting it is. If I post a photo of myself with my math project, people will love it and the comments pour in about how fantastic I am. :stare

I think people really don't enjoy anything that they have to work to focus on. It has nothing to do with you or your art personally. It's kind of like how in my bio, it specifically says I'm from Santa Monica California, but my inbox is full of people asking "where are you from?"

People are just idiots. I like every single photo on my feed so no one feels left out. :shrug
This is the most embarrassing piece of work since Clint Eastwood painted his wagon.

Deleted User 111
Reactions:

You know, I find myself very often coming to the conclusion people are lazy idiots. :hmm

JimothyZombie
Super Potato
Reactions: 7037

Post by JimothyZombie »

:nod

nagoline
genuine magenta lamprey

Post by nagoline »

and that's why i wanna get outta here