Bouncy light illuminating the scene

Art
JimothyZombie
Super Potato
Reactions: 7037

Bouncy light illuminating the scene

Post by JimothyZombie »

I made my scene more interesting for a proper test of the new global illumination (make light bounce realistic) render engine. I played with the CAD tools and ran a cloth simulation for lols. I use the vibrant colours against the otherwise drab scene to show the way the light bounces around the scene. I like lights 8) I'm going to do plenty of other light experiments. At least I plan to.

1 Image

Deleted User 111
Reactions:

Re: Bouncy light illuminating the scene

Post by Deleted User 111 »

It looks good! :nod

nagoline
genuine magenta lamprey
Reactions: 4510

Post by nagoline »

i'll be waiting for jim's version of p.t.
"knows all the cool opium dens"

JimothyZombie
Super Potato

Post by JimothyZombie »

Spot the modelling error. Also, the image is filled with banding. I forgot that happens a lot with surfaces that are too "clean".

:hmm what is p.t.?

nagoline
genuine magenta lamprey

Post by nagoline »

playable teaser
one of the best marketing stunts for a game that never came out. in 2014 a short game called pt came out for ps4, directed by hideo kojima and guillermo del toro. it was a big thing in the horror games community because it was very confusing and abstract and seemingly impossible to complete. blew up even bigger when someone finally figured out how to finish the game and the prize was discovering that pt was simply a demo all along and a teaser for another game, but that game never came out because konami kicked kojima out.
here is the concept video del toro made for pt, your image reminded me of it in a way

later, because japanese people care about honour and pride too much, pt was deleted from the ps store, so if you still have a ps4 with pt on it, congratulations. that stuff is worth a fortune today
Last edited by nagoline on Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JimothyZombie
Super Potato

Post by JimothyZombie »

That's one fucked up house :lol I have been wanting do some creepy environments for a long time :hmm

It's a shame when cool projects get scrapped for petty reasons, or if it's mismanaged or whatever else.

nagoline
genuine magenta lamprey

Post by nagoline »

the demo is still fun. you're trapped in a never ending hallway loop and have to get out of the house. i recall fans recreating it for pc. or you can just see people playing the game on youtube and shit their pants :lol

JimothyZombie
Super Potato

Post by JimothyZombie »

It sounds like rl.

nagoline
genuine magenta lamprey

Post by nagoline »

you mean real life? probably :hmm people are still figuring out stuff about it. i'm a sucker for puzzles and marketing stunts like this are really cool. the whole arg behind year zero was mindblowing in 2007 and it kinda started in lisbon

JimothyZombie
Super Potato

Post by JimothyZombie »

I like puzzles too I'd probably play more games for that factor. If they didn't make me feel ill.

nagoline
genuine magenta lamprey

Post by nagoline »

the problem with games is that they aren't that interesting anymore, even if they involve puzzles. that's why pt is still relevant, a horror game demo that creates a movement around it just because people want to know what it means even if they won't play it. it takes like 15min to complete if you know what to do. the intention was to be hard enough that it would take people like 2 weeks to figure out the game, but the internet solved it in 3 days. it still has amazing world building around the project and so many things to find out. there was a conspiracy theory that said the demo was about konami firing kojima because he knew he was getting fired and left the demo as a clue. crazy stuff :lol

JimothyZombie
Super Potato

Post by JimothyZombie »

I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds video games boring :lol I want to like them, but I just don't find the fun. It's only the 3D ones that make me sick, and then again not all of them.

Why did Konami fire Kojima? It seems like he had cool ideas. Or did he go crazy?

JimothyZombie
Super Potato

Post by JimothyZombie »

Japanese game development is a weird world.

nagoline
genuine magenta lamprey

Post by nagoline »

speculation: kojima was responsible for the metal gear solid series. i never got into those and never saw the appeal but it was successful as heck. phantom pain would be the last entry on the series according to kojima. konami didn't want to lose the cash cow and got salty enough to fire him and look for someone else to continue the series during a "company restruction".
it's a shame. silent hill hasn't had a proper game since silent hill 3 and pt being this awesome demo for a future game on the series seemed like the second coming :lol you can argue that silent hill 4 was good, but it was a side project the team behind the games was working on and the title was put there by konami to help the sales, so i dunno if that one counts. silent hill shattered memories is a fun what if scenario with a cool story concept but it isn't all that special gameplay wise. all the other games suck so the franchise has been dead for 17 years.

nagoline
genuine magenta lamprey

Post by nagoline »

very weird world. and they have been turning everything into gacha games and micro transactions paradises. it's very rare that you see a fun game popping up nowadays :shrug

JimothyZombie
Super Potato

Post by JimothyZombie »

I liked the first MGS game. It's amazing what developers squeezed out of the ol psx. I played a little bit of silent hill, just the first. It made me want to play resident evil. I was always so picky about games. I either lived something to death or was completely indifferent .

I'm not sure I played any other Kojima games, but he was pretty much the mozes as far as I knew.

nagoline
genuine magenta lamprey

Post by nagoline »

the only silent hill game kojima made was pt :lol funny enough, people say resident evil 7 is very similar to pt even though that wasn't the intention. i don't see the resemblance however :shrug
silent hill 1 was all about the ambient and atmosphere, the story isn't all that interesting. rescue kid lost in a town full of medieval cultists and find out its misteries.
silent hill 2 had a cool story. a guy gets a letter from his dead wife saying she is waiting for him in the town of the first game.
silent hill 3 is a sequel to 1. the kid is a teenager now and goes back to the town.
silent hill 4 is about a guy who can't go out his house except for a hole on a wall. side project by the same team. konami put the name and saind the game took place in the same town to make people buy it. it's still a fine game.
every other is a rethread of the second game with some changes to gameplay but they all suck. they were made outside of japan and you can see people who made them didn't get psychological horror.
silent hill shattered memories begins with the same plot as the 1st but is completely different. it's a fun game about depression and loss. it's not really a silent hill game, again konami changing the title to fit the series, so they changed the names of the characters to be the same as the 1st and claimed it was a reimagination and a what if scenario of the 1st.

JimothyZombie
Super Potato

Post by JimothyZombie »

I admire your knowledge of these games. It's fun to know lots of useless things about something. Did you play a lot of games, or was it just certain ones?

nagoline
genuine magenta lamprey

Post by nagoline »

not really, maybe when was younger i'd play a lot of warcraft 3. the expansion pack frozen throne is pretty fun. and the whole thing is like 600mgb so you can literally have the whole game in a 1gb usb drive and no need to install the game because i copied the files after installing for the first time and it works fine on every computer :shrug i remember playing a lot of avp2 (2001 version) on pc, the multiplayer mode is fun, imagine a first person shooter battle royale but it's marines vs corporates vs predators vs aliens. i mostly played on easy mode though since aliens can sense pheromones and it's easier to see other players this way, other races would just be lost in the amount of explosives and projectiles flying everywhere. oh and in 2007 the arg for nin's year zero came about and people went nuts with it. started here with messages hidden on tour shirts and usb drives found on bathrooms, they started the tour in portugal and the arg ended months later in los angeles with people who got all the clues being contact in cellphones they were given as part of the arg and attended a secret show that lasted for like 25min before a swat team raided the place. the whole arg got pretty scary while you went deep into the story and lore and it's the best marketing stunt i've seen for a piece of media.

i think my latest gen consoles were a ps2 and a gameboy advance. both game collections are very small and the ps2 was mostly used as a dvd player.
my knowledge of games comes from where every other knowledge i have comes from, too much free time to research things :shrug
Last edited by nagoline on Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

JimothyZombie
Super Potato

Post by JimothyZombie »

Hah yeah I hear you. I learned a heap about video games from watching youtube vids. I find the concepts and the technology so much more interesting than the actual games.

I freaking loved Frozen Throne. It had such a cool campaign. I played a little bit of AVP2. I would have played it a lot more if I'd had a computer that would run it properly. Years later I played and enjoyed the 3rd game. Man, maybe I'll install and play it. It's funny, I always think it would be fun to start playing something then I play it for five minutes and I'm like, man this is boring :die I fucking loved video games as a kid and teenager though. I suppose it's really that nothing has changed since then. It's the same video games over and over.