what's your preparation process before getting inked?

Art
nagoline
genuine magenta lamprey
Reactions: 4510

what's your preparation process before getting inked?

Post by nagoline »

jim asked me to make more threads, so here's one for you

i usually fast and don't eat anything for a few days before because, if i do, the needle touching my nerves causes me to go straight to the bathroom and spend a good amount of time there. however, people are advised to eat a healthy meal and stay hidrated so they don't faint due to low blood pressure.
i usually just end up falling asleep after a bit too, if i don't just starting chatting too much with my artist (we're bound to run out of topics to talk about anyways).

what's your take on that? someone with as much or more experience in getting inked than me?

also, will be making another tattoo next thursday at dawn, a chest piece inspired by kafka's the process, metamorphosis and the castle all in one :circles (the question is, to eat the previous day or not to eat :hmm)
"knows all the cool opium dens"

JimothyZombie
Super Potato
Reactions: 7037

Re: what's your preparation process before getting inked?

Post by JimothyZombie »

The needle makes you physically sick or incredibly aroused if you've not fasted?

Who could possibly have more experience getting inked? You're like one big tattoo. Tore probs has more experience with tattoos in general though :hmm

nagoline
genuine magenta lamprey

Post by nagoline »

not sick, just messes with my bowls to the point i get the ovens really fast :lol

JimothyZombie
Super Potato

Post by JimothyZombie »

:lol those ovens man. I've never heard that. Is that a thing, or are you just wired differently?

nagoline
genuine magenta lamprey

Post by nagoline »

i guess i'm just wired differently, since i'm usually pretty constipated :die

JimothyZombie
Super Potato

Post by JimothyZombie »

Don't sweat and constantly constipated. I wonder if that's linked.

nagoline
genuine magenta lamprey

Post by nagoline »

probably should drink more :lol

KeyserSoze
the space duck queen
Reactions: 2904

Post by KeyserSoze »

I have a whole ritual, because my tattoo artist still lives in my hometown which is about 370 mile drive.

Two months prior, I make the appointment because that's seriously how far in advance he's booked. Then I have to get hotel arrangements, because I no longer have family or friends in the area. Then I fill up the Honda and drive, drive, and drive. One time I actually drove STRAIGHT to my appointment at the shop from LA :lol But usually I settle in the room and go to the shop the following morning.

We've been working on my two sleeves since 2009. This requires a lot of emailing of ideas back and forth. My tattoo artist is the kind of artist who won't even do your piece if he thinks it will look stupid or doesn't like it for whatever reason. He's also the owner of the shop, so he can do that. So it's usually a lot of me saying "I would like it to be black and red" and him saying "no, we're doing it brown." I have a tattoo of an angel on the left arm which I wanted to be on my right arm beneath the waves and pirate ship, and he was like "you want him to be flying under the ocean? That doesn't make any goddamn sense. We're putting it on the left arm or we aren't doing it." :lol

Anyway, so I drive for 6 hours and usually book a 6 hour appointment. There's a vegetarian restaurant fairly close by that I absolutely love so I always go there immediately afterward for fake chicken burgers and a vegan shake. Yum.

I never wear makeup to the tattoo shop because I know after a 6 hour drive I'm just going to look like shit anyway so who cares.

I usually go in either June or August. I'm going to try to see @Kelly next time I go up, she lives only about 45 min away from there. BUT MAN IS THAT 45 MIN DRIVE ON A CRAZY, TWO-LANE MOUNTAIN PASS OR WHAT.
1 Image
This is the most embarrassing piece of work since Clint Eastwood painted his wagon.

nagoline
genuine magenta lamprey

Post by nagoline »

that sounds like the relationship i have with my artist, except he knows i like everything black and his style suits me. i even talk to him about other artists and if it'd be cool if i did something with them (my hand was from another artist for example). 2 months isn't much, i already have one booked for october :lol but since i'm a regular, sometimes he can try to fit me in somewhere closer to the date we decide the drawing in :) i already have one sleeve done and just a bit of my left arm left to do something so i've just been working on my legs and chest for now. it's a pain in the ass to heal something in the back due to me not having much elasticity to put cream there all the time :die

Tore
The Wise Basic Bitch
Reactions: 491

Post by Tore »

I make sure I’m well fed and watered a few hours beforehand, bring a sugary drink and snacks (particularly a lolly or hard boiled sweets if it’s a painful spot as they help me zone out into a happy place) and I make sure I pee before we start. If I remember I moisturise for a few days prior and also make sure my clothing’s appropriate for the body part we’re doing or I take a change of clothes if I’m travelling beyond my own city. I also take a fully charged power bank for my phone if it’s a long session and I’ve been browsing to keep myself occupied.
Mr.Mime wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:04 pm
TORE IS A FURRY

Kelly
Global Mod
Reactions: 314

Post by Kelly »

KeyserSoze wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:56 am
I have a whole ritual, because my tattoo artist still lives in my hometown which is about 370 mile drive.

Two months prior, I make the appointment because that's seriously how far in advance he's booked. Then I have to get hotel arrangements, because I no longer have family or friends in the area. Then I fill up the Honda and drive, drive, and drive. One time I actually drove STRAIGHT to my appointment at the shop from LA :lol But usually I settle in the room and go to the shop the following morning.

We've been working on my two sleeves since 2009. This requires a lot of emailing of ideas back and forth. My tattoo artist is the kind of artist who won't even do your piece if he thinks it will look stupid or doesn't like it for whatever reason. He's also the owner of the shop, so he can do that. So it's usually a lot of me saying "I would like it to be black and red" and him saying "no, we're doing it brown." I have a tattoo of an angel on the left arm which I wanted to be on my right arm beneath the waves and pirate ship, and he was like "you want him to be flying under the ocean? That doesn't make any goddamn sense. We're putting it on the left arm or we aren't doing it." :lol

Anyway, so I drive for 6 hours and usually book a 6 hour appointment. There's a vegetarian restaurant fairly close by that I absolutely love so I always go there immediately afterward for fake chicken burgers and a vegan shake. Yum.

I never wear makeup to the tattoo shop because I know after a 6 hour drive I'm just going to look like shit anyway so who cares.

I usually go in either June or August. I'm going to try to see @Kelly next time I go up, she lives only about 45 min away from there. BUT MAN IS THAT 45 MIN DRIVE ON A CRAZY, TWO-LANE MOUNTAIN PASS OR WHAT.
The 17 is always a fun adventure :rofl Let’s definitely meet up. Let me know as soon as you make your appointment :circles
1 Image
:star Yellow Kelly :star

dreamshell
Fcuky of The Year 2023
Reactions: 2213

Post by dreamshell »

@nagoline saw some vids w/ tats like this earlier & thought it'd be cool to pass along
1 Image

nagoline
genuine magenta lamprey

Post by nagoline »

pretty cool, i have no space left in my arms to do that sort of thing though :lol

dreamshell
Fcuky of The Year 2023

Post by dreamshell »

bodies got a lotta parts that fold :shmoopy

dreamshell
Fcuky of The Year 2023

Post by dreamshell »

you could be like that classy lady with the octopus tat where the mouth is her butthole

nagoline
genuine magenta lamprey

Post by nagoline »

:hmm wonder if i could pull that off

dreamshell
Fcuky of The Year 2023

Post by dreamshell »

kafka-assque

nagoline
genuine magenta lamprey

Post by nagoline »

:rofl not quite but good one

Do_The_Evolution
Reactions: 96

Post by Do_The_Evolution »

I just don't drink or smoke and I'm fine. I sit like a champ
1 Image
The pasta woman :orly

:peach :peach :peach

nagoline
genuine magenta lamprey

Post by nagoline »

tattoo done, my artist took a pic, so whenever he goes public with it, i'll share
2 Image