Special band special time special place

Music
JimothyZombie
Super Potato
Reactions: 7037

Special band special time special place

Post by JimothyZombie »

It's strange how sometimes the right band turns up at the right time and that band becomes THE band. People find out you like this particular band and they ask you, oh man, do you like this band and this one and this one and this one? And you say no. So they play or share a few songs of these other bands - just because they have a similar style it should resonate with you. But it doesn't. In no way do the examples offered produce any response like what you get from your special band.

Does this happen to you?

This person looks at you with a dismay like they were hoping you were their best new friend but now it is all ruined :whine No, I like this band specifically. Why? Because I like this band specifically. It had some profound impact on me and I don't particularly care about the genre at all.

For me these bands include
Smashing Pumpkins
Radiohead
NIN
Chemlab

There are lots of others but these are the big ones for me. Or at least the ones that have been coming back to me the most over the years. Admittedly I was extremely late to NIN but it feels like a forever band. Sometimes I try to listen to some of the big influence bands and the sound just bounces off. It's like a band has to approach me at the exact right angle to slice through into my heart.

But then there are genres I go deep into. Electronic industrial and synthwave being examples. I never found shortages of bands that I could enjoy (or usually, at least a song or two), but again, to the heartbreak of some, not all. But falling in love with a genre is rarer yet than falling in love with a specific band.

I adore music.

nagoline
genuine magenta lamprey
Reactions: 4510

Re: Special band special time special place

Post by nagoline »

all the time. i like music, i don't care about looks or how people judge others based on what they look like and what they like to listen to. i'm not into the fashion show regardings genres. music is music and i don't form my personality around what i listen to. if something doesn't mean anything to me, meh :shrug let others enjoy it better than i can and i'll enjoy my own thing.
1 Image
"knows all the cool opium dens"

Sean2K
Reactions: 368

Post by Sean2K »

1 Image

Helloween_1985
The New Italian Job
Reactions: 282

Post by Helloween_1985 »

I tend to bounce from one genre to another. I don't mind punk it's ok but I'm more into punk bands from Northern Ireland like SLF and The Undertones as I can relate to them more, than the Sex Pistols

best S.L.F in my opinion (Alternative Ulster)

of course when I'm talking to some ignornant americans (not all) who talk about a certain party who want a united ireland I play them this:

Stiff Little Fingers - Each dollar a bullet

they tend to go "oh shit, we really fucked up didn't we?"
1 Image
:star like that uncle you're never sure is joking :star

JimothyZombie
Super Potato

Post by JimothyZombie »

Music is a strange, wonderful thing. I wonder if music is universal for intelligent species, or if it's just some weird earth thing.
1 Image

nagoline
genuine magenta lamprey
Reactions: 4510

Post by nagoline »

everything makes sound except in a vacuum. therefore, one would think sound would be the most common way of expression. and what is music if not expression?
"knows all the cool opium dens"

JimothyZombie
Super Potato

Post by JimothyZombie »

Yeah, that does sound pretty logical, but music is such an abstract thing. Like I could see singing being pretty universal because it comes from bodily communication, but to actually make instruments to make pretty noise seems special. But then again I suppose every species can see the utility in making drums. And from there it's a slippery slope to the synthesiser :cool
1 Image

Helloween_1985
The New Italian Job
Reactions: 282

Post by Helloween_1985 »

zomborg wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:21 am
Music is a strange, wonderful thing. I wonder if music is universal for intelligent species, or if it's just some weird earth thing.
I'd say years from now it could be a universal thing for intelligent species but for now (at least) it's more a weird earth thing :hmm
:star like that uncle you're never sure is joking :star

dreamshell
Fcuky of The Year 2023
Reactions: 2213

Post by dreamshell »

ok but what abt finding a good song & when u check the rest of the band's work out it just won't click or sometimes doesn't even sound anything like the shit that slaps???

JimothyZombie
Super Potato

Post by JimothyZombie »

Yeah, that one is always a surprise. You find that one special song and the rest just rolls right off at best or causes disturbing face.

JimothyZombie
Super Potato

Post by JimothyZombie »

This is one of those bands. This song I like but I can feel the formulaic composition oozing out of even this track, but it's mixed well enough that I have it play listed. That's pop music. You can get the formula right but still fail to make catchy music.
1 Image